* 6 Granny Smith apples
* 6 wooden sticks
* 1 (14 ounce) package individually wrapped caramels, unwrapped
* 2 tablespoons water
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Insert wooden sticks 3/4 of the way into the stem end of each apple. Place apples on a cookie sheet covered with lightly greased aluminum foil. I like to use squares of wax or parchment paper under each apple. Greasing a metal pan does NOT work.
2. Combine caramels and water in a saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring often, until caramel melts and is smooth. Stir in vanilla extract. Dip each apple into the caramel and gently run apples around insides of saucepan to scrape off some of the caramel. Scrape excess caramel from the apple bottoms using the side of the saucepan. Place on the aluminum foil and chill until ready to serve.
3. If desired, dip apples into chopped nuts, cookies, candies or sprinkles. Drizzle with chocolate or melted caramel.
Cooking Option: place the the caramels and water in a microwave safe bowl and cook for 1 minute at a time until melted stirring as needed to combine.
Check out Kraft Foods and All Recipes for more ideas.