2/3 cups milk
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. granulated sugar
3/4 tsp. baking powder
Vegetable oil and a deep skillet
1. Beat egg in a large mixing bowl with a wire whisk. Stir in milk slowly, stirring constantly with the whisk.
2. Combine flour, salt, sugar and baking powder in a separate large mixing bowl.
3. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture slowly, beating constantly with the wire whisk. Continue beating until the funnel cake batter is smooth.
4. Pour vegetable oil into a large, deep skillet to a 1-inch depth. Heat the oil to approximately 375 degrees F, using a food thermometer to check the temperature.
5. Place your finger over the hole in the bottom of a medium-sized funnel. Fill the funnel with one large ladle of batter and remove your finger, allowing the batter to run out into the hot oil. Move the funnel from the center of the pan outward in a circular motion to create a round funnel cake.
6. Fry the homemade funnel cake for two to three minutes in the oil or until golden brown. Turn the cake over using metal tongs, and fry for two to three minutes on the opposite side, until golden brown.
7. Remove the funnel cake from the oil with the tongs, and place on paper towels to drain. Sprinkle the cake with powdered sugar while it's still warm, and serve immediately.
For more by Willow Sidhe, ehow - Homemade Funnel Cake